Tuesday

Cheese's Tour de France

french cheese, sandwiches

by Jolene Thym

It was a Friday night and I had a choice: I could stay home and cook, or I could accept an invitation to meet a group of French cheesemakers on tour in the U.S. -- and to eat French cheese in San Francisco.

I love to cook, but because I am convinced that there is nothing more delicious than a hunk of smelly French cheese, I headed across the bridge. I followed my nose to the second floor, and into a room where tables were mounded with cheese.

More cheeses were cut into wedges and chunks, but my eyes focused on the giant hunks of seven different cheeses at each place setting. I do love cheese, but this appeared to be overkill.

Slowly and methodically, I tasted the cheeses in order. Some were soft and spreadable, others just the right texture for grating on pasta, or slicing for sandwiches.

The cheese-de-resistance came last, a Roquefort made with sheep's milk that was smooth in texture, gorgeous in color, and pungently delicious.

The funniest thing about the evening was when we left. Each guest was handed several pounds of cheese to enjoy. We were told that the French cheesemakers had overestimated their cheese needs -- by a few hundred pounds.

I, for one, was happy to lighten their load.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share