Thursday

Recipes: Fluffy Cheese and Other Omelettes I Have Known

omelette, shrimp, frying pan

By John T Jones, Ph.D.

I make the omelettes at our house. The other day it was my wife’s birthday so I made her a cheese omelette. I did one thing different. I was watching a television show featuring an old diner that has been making omelettes the same way for many years. To make the omelette fluffy the cook mixed it on a regular drug-store-type malt mixer. I decided to give it a try and mixed our omelettes on our kitchen high-speed mixer.

How fluffy the omelette turned out depended somewhat on how much milk you added. The main thing is to get a lot of air into the mixture before you place it in the frying pan.

You can put about anything into an omelette. My wife is a purist and wants only cheese. But you can add leaks, bacon,

ham, sausage, paprika, potatoes, shrimp or what have you. I have my preference. It is crabmeat.

I learned about crabmeat omelettes in York, Pennsylvania. We use to go down to the Roosevelt Tavern just to get a crabmeat omelette. Making a crabmeat omelette in Idaho is not like buying one at the Roosevelt Tavern in York, but it’s better than not having a crabmeat omelette.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share