Wednesday

Top Spot for Mac and Cheese

french toast, sausage gravy, levitate

by McKinney, Wanda

Lynn's Paradise Cafe in Louisville serves up some of the best comfort food in the South.

I blame my last five pounds of weight gain on Oprah Winfrey. That's right-Oprah. It's all her fault.

I just happened to catch the show where she listed the top restaurants in the country that serve the perfect macaroni and cheese. Well, Io and behold, there was Lynn's Paradise Cafe.

Known far and wide (and in my case, I do mean wide) for her bounteous breakfasts, Lynn has stuffed me with French toast ($6.25) and biscuits light enough to levitate if not eaten quickly or drenched in sausage gravy (so I do both). Her lunch menu features a meat loaf ($9.50) that smacks of comfort, and I've lost myself more than once in her fruit cobbler ($2.25). But I had never tried the macaroni and cheese ($2.25). Obviously, a serious mistake, according to Oprah.

So I took myself to Louisville, sat down in a cheery booth, and ordered the famous dish. I was joined by Lori Pritchett, general manager of Lynn's. "Oprah sent me," I explained. "She said your mac and cheese is one of the best in the country."

"Yes, we were so excited," Lori said. "It was a challenge getting the food shipped to Chicago for the studio audience to try, but it was a lot of fun."

Soon the aromatic delicacy originated by executive chef Sara Gibbs arrived at my table, alongside an order of Walnut-Crusted Chicken ($9.50). I took one bite of cheesy goodness and knew my Dr. Phil Weight Loss Challenge was temporarily lost. The cheese and macaroni had just the right consistency and flavor, and the topping made the difference between good and great. "This is pasta-rifle," I shouted, scraping up every Cheddar-filled elbow. "Would you share the recipe?"

"Oh, sure," said Lori. "We give it out all the time."

So here 1 am, another size larger and deeper in debt (multiple Cheddar cheese runs can really crank up the old grocery bill). Dr. Phil would say that I should take responsibility for my actions and not blame Oprah for my gluttony. Or maybe I should be mad at Lynn's Paradise Cafe for serving such addictive food. But I trusted Oprah, and now I'm lost in a noodle nebula. By the way, I wonder when the show that names the best chocolates is airing? just curious. WANDA MCKINNEY

No comments:

Bookmark and Share